Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sweet Bookmark - Milton Reading

It's me.....Erika Martin. I'm back for another Saturday post as part of my Guest Designer stint here at Sweet n' Sassy!

When I saw the Milton Reading digi image, I couldn't help myself. I had to have it. I've always been a voracious reader and my daughter has quickly followed in my footsteps. She's 10 years old and loves chapter books. She's starting to read some of the favorites I had at her age. She's never seen without a book....she's just like her mama. I don't know how she carries her backpack, as it's loaded with books. It's uncomfortable for even me to pick up because it's so heavy!

I thought it would be a special treat for her to wake up to a cute bookmark for the book she's reading. That's one thing she didn't pick up from me.....bookmarks. I don't know if she's even thought about using one. I've always used them and even had a huge collection when I was her age.

I printed the Milton Reading image onto water color paper and it printed beautifully! I used my ink pads as palettes by pressing the lid of the pad against the pad itself. A little bit of water on the color on the lid and a detail paint brush and I was ready to go. In spite of all the shading, I only used 4 ink pads for this image. I just made sure to water down some ink more than the other so that I could get some shading that perfectly matched the base colors.

I rounded the corners with a punch on both the water color paper and also on the pink cardstock that I mounted it on. I punched a hole at the top of the bookmark with a 1/4 inch hole punch and threaded some pink gingham ribbon to create a tassel.

Now I just need to make one for myself. Milton is just too darn cute and it would even cuter for mom and daughter to have matching bookmarks!

4 comments:

  1. Adorable, Erika and I definitely think you need one for yourself :). Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Erika, I love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erika, this is so very pretty! Love this and YES treat yourself!!

    ReplyDelete